Match Report

NFC Match Report – Round One

Norwood vs Glenelg

Round 1 – Coopers Stadium – 29th March 2019
Norwood: 1.3 3.6 5.9 9.15 (68)
Glenelg: 2.4 4.4 8.5 9.10 (63)
Goals: Grigg 2, Panos, Baulderstone, Szust, Hamilton, Barry, Smart, Bampton
Best: Baulderstone, Grigg, Johnston, Panos, Hamilton, Nunn
Injuries: Bode (Shoulder)

Norwood has recorded a last-gasp five-point win against a desperate Glenelg to kick off its year of redemption at The Parade on Friday night.

Trailing for most of the evening, the Redlegs kicked four majors in the final term to defeat the Bays in nail-biting fashion.

In what was a rather low scoring affair, Norwood found a way to grind out a result against the odds courtesy of a Dom Barry match winner.

Norwood only managed three first half goals courtesy of Mitch Grigg and Sam Baulderstone.

The visitors managed to convert most of their chances by rebounding quickly from Norwood’s forward 50.

The visitors led by a handy 13-point margin 15 minutes into the final term when elusive forward Lachlan Hosie snapped a behind near the top of the goal square.

With time not on the Redlegs side, dominant wingman Lewis Johnston found forward Ed Smart in the pocket 40 metres out.

Smart made no mistake to bring the Norwood crowd into life. Matthew Panos then kicked a clutch goal from 50 metres to make a statement to Glenelg that the Redlegs were coming.

An outstanding piece of ruckwork by premiership bigman Sam Baulderstone then put Dom Barry in prime position to snap truly from 30m and give the hosts the lead 21 minutes into the final term.

A desperate lunging spoil from Tiger Luke Reynolds allowed former skipper Andrew Bradley to snap on goal but the narrow miss ensured the final margin would remain at five points, with Norwood backman Mitch Wilkins taking an important defensive mark seconds later to ice the contest.

Despite the five-point victory, Norwood had themselves to blame after controlling majority of the contest in terms of disposals and inside 50’s.

The Redlegs led the possession count by plus 69 and the inside 50’s being plus 22.

Norwood, however, couldn’t convert on the scoreboard despite having plenty of chances throughout the match.

Reigning Magarey Medallist Mitch Grigg once again found plenty of it with 33 disposals and two goals, while after a slow first quarter, Lewis Johnston controlled the contest himself collecting 37 touches which included a staggering 17 marks.

Sam Baulderstone was also dominant in the ruck giving first use to Norwood’s on-ball brigade.

The Legs were dealt a blow when Captain Jace Bode left the ground at the 20-minute mark of the third term with a dislocated shoulder. Early diagnosis is that Bode may miss 1-2 weeks in recovery.

Norwood will now face Central at X Convenience Oval in Round 2 next Saturday afternoon at 1:10pm.