Match Report

Glenelg run away from Norwood late to claim 30-point win

Norwood displayed a far more spirited and competitive front when it took on Glenelg at the Bay on Sunday, but the Tigers were able to charge away late to claim a 30-point win.

The Redlegs led by four points at quarter time, and trailed by 10 points at both the half and three quarter time breaks, before Glenelg kicked five goals in the last quarter to seal a 12.10-82 to 7.10-52 victory.

Redlegs midfielder Nik Rokahr had 28 disposals and seven clearances in a tough, physical game, played in wet conditions in Glenelg.

McLean kicked two goals for Norwood, while Harry Boyd was dominant in the ruck with 40 hit outs, nine clearances and 13 disposals.

Newly announced co-captain Jacob Kennerley had seven clearances, five tackles and 15 disposals, Declan Hamilton had 17 disposals, and Jack Heard 16 disposals and six marks.

Norwood coach Jade Rawlings liked several aspects of Sunday’s game.

“There were so many good things from our game, we competed really hard, but the big moments were taken by Glenelg,” he said.

“It was a great contest, we had a great first quarter and didn’t take our chances that we needed to take – to go in 10 points down at half time when we were nine points up was deflating.

“Our best footy is ahead of us, we haven’t played sustainable, redeemable footy until today – we looked more like Norwood and we were able to compete for longer (today).”

Key forward Jackson Callow made his first appearance in Norwood colours since the 2021 season (before being drafted to Hawthorn), while Matt Panos and off-season recruit Patrick Walker played their first games of the season in the Reserves. See Reserves report below.

“It has been a slow burn for these guys, as the message has been all year – people will come back when they are ready, they have to be conditioned to SANFL footy as it’s not easy,” Rawlings said.

Norwood started sharply in the first term and was able to transition the ball cleanly from defence into attack.

McLean kicked the Redlegs first goal at the five-minute mark when he converted from a set shot at the Phillis End.

Norwood led inside 50m entries 8-6 after 15 minutes and looked the more composed side moving forward, but had a 1.4 to 1.1 lead to show for it.

Glenelg was able to capitalise on a rebound 50m and kicked its second goal of the game through Matt Allen to take a three-point lead.

Norwood forward Jack Saunders started strongly and set up his side’s second goal, finding Ben Jarvis 30m out, who went back and kicked truly.

For the first time this season Norwood led at quarter time, 2.6-18 to 2.2-14 and looked well and truly in the hunt.

Kennerley and Baynen Lowe each had six disposals in the first quarter.

The first blow of the second term went to Glenelg when Liam McBean goaled from the pocket in front of the new scoreboard, handing the lead back to the Tigers.

It turned into a wet weather game after quarter time as rain fell consistently, and Norwood wrestled the lead back when Nick Lowden kicked the Redlegs third goal from a forward pocket boundary throw in.

The Redlegs had two in two minutes and a lead of nine when they transitioned end to end, finishing in an Oliver Sanders goal from the goalsquare.

The game was haulted when Saunders went down following a heavy collision, but he managed to walk off the field with assistance from trainers.

Norwood had control of the game and a nine-point advantage at the 20-minute mark, but Glenelg finished the half strongly with three late goals from James Bell and two from Corey Lyons (including one from a 25m penalty), which helped the Tigers to a 10-point lead at the major break.

Rokahr was starting to have an impact in the tough, slippery conditions, with 12 disposals to half time, while Lowe had 11 disposals and Hamilton 10. Kennerley (eight disposals to HT) and Boyd (seven disposals to HT) each had four clearances at the half way mark.

Norwood led the tackle (37-34), hit out (26-18), clearance (22-21), and inside 50m (26-24) battles at half time, but Glenelg led the contest 6.6-42 to 4.8-32.

After a tight tussle in the first half Glenelg returned from half time looking more organised, particularly across half back, and transitioning through the middle of the ground, putting Norwood’s defenders under pressure.

The Tigers restricted Norwood’s ability to freely move the ball from end to end, but both sides remained goalless in the opening 18 minutes of the third term.

The Redlegs defended gallantly, but the goal that broke the deadlock came from Glenelg’s Hosie, putting the Tigers up by 17 points.

Norwood kept battling and eventually got its fifth goal on the board when Boyd took the ball cleanly out of an inside 50m ruck battle and found a leading McLean, who converted the 30m set shot.

McLean’s goal reduced the margin to 10 points at three-quarter time, 7.7-49 to 5.9-39.

Rokahr had 11 disposals in the third term.

Thomas Donnelly smothered a Glenelg set shot early in the final quarter, but the Tigers found their eighth goal not long later through Luke Reynolds to re-instate the 17-point buffer.

Allen and Reynolds booted two more in quick succession, which made it at tough task with the Tigers out to a 29-point lead.

Norwood booted the next two goals through Cam Taheny and Liam Robinson, but Riley Holder again steadied for the Tigers with a classy set shot from a tight angle to seal victory.

The Redlegs will take on Port Adelaide in Round 5 at Alberton Oval – Saturday, May 6 (2:30pm).


Norwood 2.6, 4.8, 5.9, 7.10 – 52

Glenelg 2.2, 6.6, 7.7, 12.10 – 82

Goals: McLean 2, Jarvis, Lowden, Robinson, Sanders, Taheny

Reserves - Glenelg clinch two-point win over Norwood

2022 Norwood SANFL Premiership hero Matthew Panos returned from injury through the SANFL Reserves on Sunday afternoon at Glenelg Oval, booting three goals from his 10 disposals in the Redlegs two-point loss to the Tigers.

Panos’ three goals came in the second quarter in Norwood’s Reserves 11.7-73 to 10.7-71 defeat of Glenelg.

Off-season recruit Patrick Walker also played his first game for Norwood in the Reserves match, finishing with 11 disposals, while Pierce Seymour led the way with 20 disposals.

Luke Bogle had 18 disposals and a goal, while Tom Graham had 16 disposals, 16 hit outs and seven clearances.

Goals came from Panos 3, Bogle, Chance Doultree, Goy Lok, Lachie Pascoe, Xavier Tranfa, Izaak Twelftree and Tyson Walls.

Norwood started well, booting the first goal of the game through Xavier Tranfa, before Glenelg went on a run of five unanswered goals to take a 25-point lead at the 14-minute mark of the first term.

Bogle booted Norwood’s second of the match late in the first term to make it a 17-point margin at quarter time.

Panos started to have an influence on the contest after quarter time, booting two goals in two minutes early in the term and another from a contested mark later in the quarter.

Norwood kept pressing to reduce the quarter time deficit, but the Tigers always managed to respond with a steadying goal.

Lok also looked strong in the second term, taking several contested marks across half forward, and setting up goals for Panos and Pascoe.

The Redlegs managed to steal the lead heading into the half time break, with a long bomb from Tyson Walls after the siren – Norwood led 7.5-47 to 7.3-45 at the main break.

It was a scrappy third quarter as light rain started to fall at Glenelg Oval, with Glenelg taking back the lead in a two goal to one term. The Bays led by three points at the final break, 9.5-59 to 8.8-56

Norwood re-gained the lead early in the final term through a long range goal from Lok, and went ahead by 10 points when Chance Doultree converted from a free kick.

But, again the Tigers steadied and found the next two goals to steal the two-point win.



Norwood 2.2, 7.5, 8.8, 10.11 – 71

Glenelg 5.1, 7.3, 9.5, 11.7 – 73

Goals: Panos 3, Bogle, Doultree, Lok, Pascoe, Tranfa, Twelftree, Walls

Best: Cameron Ball, Thomas Donnelly, Nikolaus Rokahr, Baynen Lowe, Harry Boyd

Norwood’s Oscar Hodge evades a Glenelg opponent in the Reserves game at Glenelg Oval today.